Wednesday 11 March 2009

The mountain must come to Mohammed.


So much has happened since I last wrote.
I mentioned before that I'd encountered a compatibility issue with the donor I'd chosen i.e. he has a virus that I don't have.
Under normal circumstances CMV poses no problems, it manifests no symptoms and more than half the population have it. It's only important not to contract it whilst pregnant as it can cause deafness or brain damage to the baby.

So I'm back to searching for a donor.
My friends all think I've taken leave of my senses, they say (the ones with kids) that I will love my child just as much whoever the father is, that I should stop trying to control the situation and just take any old sperm. I believe them in concept as the nature of life's amazing gene pool dictates that you get what you get anyway, but I think it's funny that people are so quick to throw in their penneth without really putting themselves in my shoes (how could they?).
Would they really go into a bar with a blind fold on and grab at the 1st male that crossed their path and have a baby with him? No, I sense that they would walk in with their eyes wide open, spend a little time interviewing and go with the one with that interested them the most.
Anyway I couldn't care less what other people say.
I'm solo on this mission and I have never been surer of anything in my life.

I'm on the Internet every evening for weeks, I become depressed and furious trawling through testimonials that literally put me to sleep. It soon becomes clear that I was lucky last time to come across a donor I liked so easily.
Finally I find a guy that talks my language and I cried with relief when I heard him.

The sun shines again...but only for a heart beat...the bank isn't registered to ship to the UK, ahhhh. (Sound effect = loud screeching followed by a car hitting solid object - a wall perhaps?).
After a mini fit, I calm down and figure it out, if Mohammed can't come to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed!

I've already been to to the States and found a clinic to work with and I'm lucky enough to have a place to stay there.
I will have to be away for 3 weeks and it's definitely alot more expensive than the UK but I have thrown caution to the wind and am borrowing the money.
I am not giving up, I have ways of raising the money and the time is nothing.
I am a big believer in genetics and also for fighting for what you believe in, even if it's against every odds imaginable.

So I'm off to New York in 2 weeks to start.
Bring it on....

1 comment:

Cowgirl said...

You are an strong and determined person -- traits you will no doubt pass on to your child. It simply has got to happen -- glad to hear that you have chosen to listen to only your own advice, always the best way to go. Here's hoping for the best.